This is only the second time I’ve cooked scallops. The first time I’ve cooked scallops in their shell. The method I’ve used today is extremely simple but wow did these taste good! I know a lot of people aren’t sure what to make of scallops but trust me, if they are cooked well, they are unbelievably tasty.
I didn’t use the BBQ for this cook. I didn’t think the equipment I have would lend itself well to cooking scallops this way. I wanted a high heat from above and not below so I opted for the grill instead. If I had a Roccbox, Uuni or anything similar perhaps I would have used that instead. If you would like to use the BBQ. Feel free to experiment with what you’ve got. I have heard of people putting the shells directly onto the coals. If you can make this work outdoors let me know what you did and maybe I’ll do that next time.
So here’s the simple recipe.
- 4 washed and prepared scallops in their shells
- A large knob of butter
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- half a teaspoon of garlic paste
- 1 lemon
- Preheat your grill to get it very hot
- Space the scallops out on a tray
- Season the scallops with a little salt and pepper
- Combine the butter, garlic, chives and parsley in a bowl
- Place one heaped teaspoon of the mixture onto each scallop
- Place the scallops under the hot grill for between 5 & 6 minutes.
- Finally, squeeze some lemon juice over the scallops and serve.
If the scallop is still mushy when you poke it with a fork, it’s not done yet. The fork should bounce back slightly. When you cut it open the scallop should have a slightly opaque appearance.
Please give this a go. You won’t regret it.
Please follow the blogs Twitter feed @MunchandTattle
Written by Tomos Newland-Jones @MrNewland66